19 January, 2012

Vourliotina @ Kaissariani

It was cold last weekend and the weather wasn't good either. We had a plan to go to Kessariani Hill Sunday, but we gave up the idea and we just went to a taverna in Kaissariani called Vourliotina.

It is a small family-run taverna of 'politiki cuisine', not in Kaissariani Hill, but in walking distance from Hilton or Divani Caravel Hotel. I read very good reviews on web and decided to try.

It was smaller than expected.

Vourliotina

During the summer, they have tables outside, but the indoor space is very limited and there are less than 10 tables.

The decor is "Asia Minor" themed and quite cozy.



Bread came with olives, cheese dip tasted like kopanisti & yogurt, and olive oil + balsamic vinegar (I think).



This obligatory order cost 2 Euro x 2 persons = 4 Euros.

The mix salad was like this.



Mixture of lettuce, carrot, cabbage, red cabbage, spring onion and dill (and possibly something else) with sweet yogurt-ey dressing with pomegranate topping.

Not bad, but too sweet & too little salt for me. Just passable.

This is something called Vourliotina, ordered by Hubby. I tried to dissuade him, when I read it was a mixture of veal & pork, but he insisted.



The meat was VERY dry, like jerky. I don't know if it was intended or not. Even it was intended, I should say it was a very peculiar dish. I could eat it, but Hubby had difficulty due to the presence of many whole black peppers.

I was attracted by Isli Pilaf, but gave up the idea when I heard that it contained liver. I love liver, while Hubby hates it.

So I chose Manti instead.

Manti

This was a big mistake. The dough contained many hard inedible bits. I don't know how they managed to create solid dry wheat mass. Hubby suggested that maybe these were old. I thought maybe these were frozen badly for a long time. Who knows. Bad execution.

At the end of meal there was free offer of dessert and liqueur. The sweets were pannacotta like mass with lots of mastiha and rose jam and almond & semolina cake with mastiha cream.



The bill arrived in a present box (It is funny, but not of good taste, I am afraid).



The bill came to 36.20 Euro. If the food had been OK, it would have been OK, but I don't think that the food was even on "OK" level.

It is a sympathetic family taverna in old neighbourhood. How could the food so bad was beyond my guess. Was it just a bad day?

Vourliotina
At the corner of Hymittou and Vassileos Alexandrou 10
Kaisariani, Athens
Tel. 210 72.91.545

Βουρλιωτίνα
Υμητού κ΄ Β. Αλεξάνδρου 10
Καισαριανή, Αθήνα
Τηλ.: 210 72.91.545

http://www.vourliotina.gr/intro.swf



And we had a coffee at Utopia.



Nice ambiance, but our Nespresso machine makes better espresso. :D

No comments: